Friday, May 9, 2008

Post surgery - It's been a month...

So far, so good. I'm done with the post-surgical drops (yippee!) and now continuing in the healing phase. The doctor said it would take at least 3 months to heal. I've had no pain, but a lot of "Is this normal?" moments. Outside, particularly when it's sunny out, the sharpness of my vision is impressive. Perfect. It's weird, though--I still feel like a contact lens wearer. Maybe it's because I've always been very nearsighted and don't know what it's like being without vision problems. My eyes have the sensation of 'artificial lenses'. It's hard to describe. Doesn't hurt, it's not uncomfortable, but when I blink, I sometimes still have that sensation of...something. I don't know. That might go away with the healing process.

My biggest problem post-surgery is halos in low-light situations. Prior to surgery, I had halos when outside at night, but they were tolerable. Mostly wedge-shaped and they were over car head and tail lights. Now, they're completely round, more intense and I even have them indoors. There's a glow around the tv, even if the lights are on in the living room. The worst is when driving. I see them on car head and tail lights, street signs, my dashboard, the cat-eye reflectors on the interstate--everything. They're so intense that, at times, I don't feel safe driving at night, so I've avoided driving at night if possible. If I look directly at a light, the halo will disappear for a few seconds, but the instant my pupil expands in the darkness, the halos reappear.

I mentioned the halos to the doctor the day after the second surgery, and he said they would fluctuate. Maybe they do fluctuate in some people, but not me. They are consistently there whenever the light is low. I've reminded myself that I have a lot of healing to do, and they could still diminish or go away. So I'm not freaking out just yet.

I went for my one-month check to my regular optometrist this week and we talked about halos. I've been given a prescription drop to try. It's intended for glaucoma patients, but what it does is cause the pupil to constrict. I've used it twice and it worked like a charm. No halos! It makes my eye ache a little bit, but not bad. I just use it 30 minutes before I have to drive in the dark. At least now I have an option. I'm going to research driving glasses next. Something just to wear at night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy! I'm so glad you found my blog. I just read your entire blog and I think it's so amazing how our 2 experiences could be so different. I have so much to say, so I'll do it in list fasion:

1. The doctor is very important, clearly. I think I lucked out in many ways. My particular doctor is one of the docs who pioneered this whole ICL procedure. He was the very first Dr. in the U.S. to perform ICL, and he trains other docs on the procedure as well. He's done countless cataract surgeries as well.

2. As I mentioned in my blog, I don't like the concept of Lasik, but even if I did, I'm not a candidate because my corneas are too thin. My eye prescription was at the very low end though. I'm -3.75 in one eye, and -4.25 in the other, so that could possibly play a part in the difference in our outcomes.

3. Surgery. This is where I really lucked out. Out of ALL the literature I read, it said the that iridotomies were to be perormed 1-2 weeks prior to surgery. I was even told this at my consultation. So, I was a little bit nervous when I went in for my eye exam and they told me they would do the iridotomies ON the day of surgery. The nurses kept telling my that it was ok and that I really dodged a bullet. I guess it was true. On surgery day, I got everything done at once, iridotomies and ICL in both eyes, all in about 25 minutes time. With the iridotomies, he used a special instrument instead of a laser, and I didn't feel a thing!! I'm so greatful for it, because as you said, what a hassle to use all the drops before and after surgery, then prep for surgery TWICE. I got lucky.

4. Post surgery. The day of surgery I felt great. I could instantly see. I didn't have to wear any shields over my eyes. Only at nigt when I slept. The day of surgery I was out grocery shopping, etc. The day after, I was at the beach with friends.

5. Halos. Starting on the day of surgery, I got scared because my right eye had almost NO halos, but my left eye had severe halos. To the point where it was a distraction. I got nervous because I thought that both eyes should be the same. For my check up the next day, the optometrist told me it was just because my left cornea was more swollen than my right, and the halos would lessen over the next few days. He was right. At this point, I don't see halos in either eye. Only at night, if my eyes are tired and held at a certain angle, I'll see those wedge shaped clear halos (not the hazy round ones), but if I blink a few times and move my eyes, they disappear. Also, I can see a little bit of light that comes in through my iridotomies, but it is not enough to be bothersome.

6. Drops. You're right. The Omnipred (white milky eye drop) tastes AWFUL! I loved the Allergan, it made my eyes feel so good. I just stopped the Nevanac. It's so great to finally be done with all the drops. Now I only have my eye lubricant drops that I use when necessary, and I find that I don't even need those that often.

Obviously, clear vision is the main goal, but I know those halos can be such a nuissance. I really hope they go away for you. It's always great to talk to people that had similar experiences as you. Feel free to e-mail me. My e-mail address is on my blog profile. Keep me updated on your healing progress!

Nancy said...

Kris, thanks for your reply. It's interesting to read about the differences in our procedures. As for the YAG--I'm not sure if the laser has any advantages--maybe my holes have to be deeper because of the higher prescription lens? They did tell me that with the laser, there would be no opening to the outside afterwards (magic, I guess), so there was no risk of infection.

I still have to use artificial tears fairly often, but that was the case before surgery, too. I have enough of a dry eye problem that I've had all four of my tear drains plugged up so that what tears I have don't drain away. I use a prescription drop for that, as well. It's always something!

Anonymous said...

"At the seminar, ....."

I never heard of anyone giving a seminar on ICLs. What doctor did that? And was he/she the one you choose to do your surgery?

Can you tell us who your surgeon was, or would you prefer they remain anonymous so it doesn't appear that you're doing stealth marketing?

Nancy said...

Jack, my doctor is Ming Wang of the Wang Vision Institute in Nashville and the seminar covered all the services offered by the facility, including Lasik, ICL, and surgeries for corneal defects. The Institute hosts these seminars periodically (maybe quarterly?).