Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's been 2 years...

Not much new to report, which I guess can be a good thing, too. My vision is still holding steady at 20/20, but the halos are holding steady, as well. Now that spring is here, my dependency on the halo drops will go down both because of the longer days and because with warmer weather I'll be spending more time outside and not indoors where the lighting can be dim. So, I'm looking forward to that.

I've mostly ditched the reading glasses. They seemed to make it hard for my eyes to adjust back to normal focus, and since I can read just fine without them, why bother? The only time I wear them is at work in a particular conference room. Something about the distance to the projection screen and the light level in there make them necessary. But that's pretty much the only place I use them at work. I think its the "halo effect" going on in there. The light is somewhat low, and though I may not actually see halos when I look at the projection screen, there's a slight blurring of the edges - not blurring, really, but duplication? That's not the right word, either. It's hard to describe. Anyway, the glasses help with that when its happening.

I'm getting frequent requests for information from others interested in having ICL surgery. I am happy to respond, as I was in search of the same perspective when I was considering surgery. At that time, I knew of one other person who'd had it, and I asked her lots of questions, so I know how the 'not knowing' can be.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get as much information as you can prior to surgery so that you go into it fully prepared with knowledge of both the benefits and potential consequences. Based on my own experience and the experiences of others with whom I've communicated with who have had ICL surgery, you shouldn't go into it thinking you'll be just like someone who's always had 20/20 vision their whole life, even if you have 20/20 vision after surgery. The risks for retinal detachment that you have as a near-sighted person will still be there. ICL does not change that. Knowing that you have implants in your eyes will be a consideration, so anytime you have accidental impact on your eye (my niece's elbow, for example), you'll have an 'oh no!' moment just before you realize no harm was done. For me, my dry eye syndrome (which I had before surgery) makes my vision a little fuzzy when I first wake up, so I have to remind myself to wait a few minutes after waking before freaking out over nothing.

Wow, for 'nothing new to report', I sure had a lot to say. ;)

No comments: