Friday, April 11, 2014

6 years later

Well, my six year anniversary since my ICL surgeries came and went, and there's still nothing new to report, so that's good, I guess.  I do find that I'm using the very thin reading glasses my optometrist prescribed after my surgery more often, but only when reading for long periods.  I don't need them at all, most of the time.  Plus, my office chair is a recliner, so most of the time I'm sitting much farther back from the computer than most people would, so I am probably straining them a bit more than necessary.

The only thing notable, really, is that a couple of days ago I had a migraine aura occur, and I haven't had one of those in at least 15 years.  I've got some job stress going on right now, and for me, aura is never accompanied with pain, so after it completed its usual C shape, it was over after about 30 minutes.

I do sometimes have migraines without aura, and they always are painful, but the aura-types are always pain-free.  Just really weird!

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Hello. I had my ICL surgery two weeks ago on my left eye and one week ago on my right. The major issue i am having with it is seeing tons of halos at night, as well as during the day, inside, under bad lighting. Were your halos worse right after you had the surgery, and then they kinda got better? They make everything look blurry inside and its kinda annoying.

Nancy said...

Jeff,
I wish I could say that there's been a dramatic overall difference in my halos, but I can't. They may have seemed worse right after surgery because they were so new and expectations were high. But they continue to be noticeable.

That said, there are some nights when the halos are less prominent than others. I haven't been able to determine anything that might impact halo intensity. I've noted caffeine intake, sleep, time of the year, medications, etc., but there's no pattern. One night the halos are barely noticeable and the next night they're worse than ever.

I do still have halos indoors in low light situations, and websites with dark backgrounds cause them, too.

Our pupils shrink as we age, so it is possible that your halos could lessen over time. My right pupil is larger than my left and there are nights where only the right eye has a halo. So pupil diameter definitely plays a role.

Ada L said...

Hi Nancy,

How are you doing in your 7th anniversary?

I am a 38 year old and -13 nearsighted. I also have large pupils therefore my optometrist recommended ICL. He also told me there is a new lens that came out for larger pupils too.

I have a question tho, do you think it is worth to do ICL now in my age, or should I wait till I need nearsight reading glasses and do everything at one time?

Thanks for writing the blog and it is really helpful.

Cheers, Ada

Nancy said...

Ada,
Thanks for asking! Year 7 is pretty much just like the previous 6. No changes to report - still having halos, still seeing clearly, still happy I did it.

Don't assume that waiting till 'reading glasses stage' will get you out of still needing glasses after ICL. There's no guarantee you'll be 20/20 after ICL no matter what age you have it done, so if you're a good candidate with reasonable expectations, I'd go ahead and do it. But you do what's right for you.

I had not heard about the new lens. I hope that does address the halo problem!