Saturday, May 14, 2016

ok, yes, glasses

Current state of my eyes

As I was informed when I was considering surgery back in 2008, I knew that it was likely that I'd need reading glasses at some point just like anyone in their mid-40's might.  Up close vision has degraded a little bit - how much is hard to say because the instant you have ICLs inserted your distance vision becomes something totally different.  For the majority of my life up I was used to always bringing things closer to me to see them clearly and 8 years later I still struck by the fact that I now bring things in too close at first and then have to adjust outward for focusing.  I just haven't gotten that exact distance figured out.  Hard habit to break.

Anyway, I do wear computer glasses every day now because I am on the computer for both work and play for too many hours each day.  I wear these same glasses in the movie theater, too.  But I don't need them to drive and I don't usually have to wear them to watch tv, but I do sometimes wear them to watch tv depending on the distance and lighting conditions.

Oddly, the glasses I wear aren't the most recent ones my optometrist prescribed. Since 2008 I've had three sets of glasses made, and the ones I find work best are the first ones he prescribed. The most recent ones are the worst. I've tried explaining to him that the lighting conditions he does his tests in are the worst for the ICL halos, especially in the right eye.

My main eye complaints these days don't have anything to do with ICL.

Dry Eye

The dry eye I had prior to surgery continues to be an issue (and not helped by all the computer work, I know).  

Horizontal Bands

When I look at a website with a dark background, I will see horizontal bands that interfere with my ability to see.  When I tilt my head, those bands tilt, so it's not a problem with the monitor.  I noticed this prior to surgery, so I know it's not ICL related.  My optometrist has never been able to explain this.

Excessive Tearing/Burning

Again, I'm sure this is due to excessive computer use, but I often find that when I have to look away from the computer and focus at a distance closer or farther, one of my eyes will burn and tear very badly.  Both eyes do it, but rarely at the same time.  I'm trying to do better about taking time throughout the day to do little eye exercises to vary focus.  Many years ago (pre-ICL) I actually had to go through some vision therapy because of "loss of binocular vision" that was blamed on the computer use.  The prescribed therapy basically involved me staring at shapes and crossing my eyes at varying degrees.  So much for the "old wives'  tale" of crossing your eyes being bad for you.

Anyway, as far as the ICL's go, I think they're stable.  I don't think I'm 20/20 anymore, but still fairly close in most conditions.  It's probably worse in lower light. No change in halo intensity or frequency.

8 comments:

yogesh said...

You mentioned your vision is not 20/20 anymore.
Dos ut mean vision gets worsened after few years?

Nancy said...

Yogesh,
Yes, your vision will likely change as you age, just like anyone else, even those who have not had vision correction surgery or those who have had Lasik, etc. My doctor informed me of that likelihood prior to surgery.

Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy.
I had my ICL in December 2012. The feeling of being able to see things clearly without having to wear heavy glasses was amazing. I had a power of -11 in both eyes. My Doctor recommended ICL instead of Basic due to my thin cornea. During the operation I didn't feel any pain in the left eye. But during the procedure on my right eye, I did feel pain.
Anyways things were all good in 2 weeks as I could see things clearly. Still vision with left eye was much better compared to right eye.
Now after 4 years of surgery I have started wearing thin glasses and have again developed a power of -1 in both eyes. For some reasons, issues have persisted with my right eye- watering, pressure, blur, fogginess. Even with glasses, I have to concentrate to read anything with my right eye. While there is no issue with the left eye. 1 year back, doctor prescribed usage of Timolol eye drop. Is it leading to glaucoma? I am not sure. But after 3 years have developed few issues in right eyes.
Just sharing m experience and anxiety.

Nancy said...

Gaurav, thanks for sharing your experience. I, too, am noticing some reduction in clarity in the right eye and am wearing thin glasses when I work. However, I'm not experiencing the blurriness or fogginess you are. I can understand your anxiety on that.

I have not seen my surgeon in a long while (though I have been getting checkups at my optometrist), so I've been thinking of scheduling a check-in with him.

Hope you can get your issues resolved. If not, I hope they at least remain stable.

Nancy

Amar said...

Hi Nancy, this is a great blog so thanks creating this. It's so useful and important.
Did you have Visian ICL? I believe this new form is better. Thanks.

Nancy said...

Thanks, Amar! Yes, my ICLs are Visian.

saad said...

i just had my surgery tow weeks ago, my vision is clear as a new born, much better than glass of course!! everything is more clear and its just amazing i have never imagined that it would give me this comfort!!

but still I'm getting these (halos) around lights, its only showing with street light or in dark rooms. the doctor said its just temporarily because the eyes are dry.

i didn't feel any pain in both eyes, just the right eye there was tearing only for the first 24 hours after the operation.

thanks.

Nancy said...

saad,
I'm glad you're having such clear vision. As for the halos, while I suppose they could be due to dry eyes in some cases, it's my understanding that the halos occur when your pupils dilate beyond the perimeter of the artificial lens in low-light situations. It's been 9 years since my surgery, and I still have halos. I consider them a trade-off for clear vision. However, in the years since my surgery, I assume that improvements in the lens and/or the procedure have occurred, so maybe your halos won't last as long as mine.

Good luck!
Nancy